Saturday, July 3, 2010

Chpater 5: Professional Development

This chapter opened my eyes to a new perspective to this area of the educational field. I think that community is an essential component to Web 2.0 and even moreso with the educators along with the students. One of the main ideas that I have had to grapple with is the administrative side of professional development. As I have said, I would like to be a principal one day or in some kind of leadership role. I want those that I lead to feel confident in the work that they are doing and the work that I am leading. I want to create a community of learning and not something that hinders the work that they are already doing in the classroom. I want it to be a community of learning and not a community where people are prideful for giving away their ideas or taking ideas.
Another one of the ideas that came to mind was the idea that blogs should be used in professional development. I think that the comment was made in this section that blogs (or web interaction) should not take the place of face-to-face communication, but it should enrich conversation. I think this is essential in both professional development as well as looking at development in the classroom. We should use these tools for a better enriching environment and not something that takes away from face to face communication.
Another idea that emerged from this chapter is the need for preservice learning and training. This is an interesting concept to me, because I am interested in keeping up with the latest technology and I hope that that continues after I become a teacher. I know that when I took Educational Technology as a Sophomore, there were not near as many techniques that were taught in that class as are available right now. I think that it is important to educate preservice, but it is also important to keep up with the latest technology because of the quick rate at which technology changes.
Finally, as one that would be interested in leadership in the school system in the future, I think that Web 2.0 offers a lot of invaluable resources. We can use these resources to make sure that the teachers are not only getting the information, but it also allows the instruction to be more individualized and flexible. I look forward to where this may take us in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment